Tuesday 31 May 2011

Alan Shearer Interview

Exclusive Interview: Alan Shearer talks to Sport.co.uk's resident Geordie

 Print
Exclusive Interview: Alan Shearer talks to Sport.co.uk's resident Geordie
Posted by Sport.co.uk on: 13 May 2011 - 10:56
Author: Michael Weightman 
Comments: 3 Go... 
They often say you shouldn’t meet your heroes; and as a former Newcastle season ticket holder and a babe of the Keegan revolution-this daunting prospect was now in front of me.

However, as it happens, Alan Shearer had this very feeling the day before when he was paired with Lee Westwood in a charity golf tournament- describing it as ‘a privilege and honour’ to be partnering the world’s number one.

High praise from a man who during his career smashed records galore and is still the highest goal scorer in Premier League history. His £15million move back home in 1996 made him, at the time, the world’s most expensive player and while on Tyneside he broke Jackie Milburn’s Newcastle scoring record by netting 206 times forthe Magpies.

In an exclusive interview with Sport.co.uk we talked about him returning to management, Andy Carroll & England and playing in goal for Newcastle

It was intriguing to know whether or not a man who has played football at the highest level, was nervous about playing alongside a competitor at the top of his sport:

“I wasn’t nervous playing with the world’s number one it was the 750-1000 people surrounding the tee that I was nervous about.”

Surviving at a canter
The event, which took place in the North East, saw pilgrims flock to see the Messiah and the fans will be reassured to know that their former captain is happy with the Magpies’ first season back in the top flight: 

“It’s probably better than a lot of people thought. I think their main aim this year was survival and they have done that at a canter. They can finish the season and be proud of what they have achieved. They had a tough time when Andy Carroll left but that’s all over with now and what they spend in the summer will determine how successful they are next season”

When asked if he thought there was more to the Carroll story than met the eye he said:

“I don’t know the answer to that; I’d be amazed if he had gone in and demanded to move away from Newcastle. We were all disappointed because he was an integral part of Newcastle and he had a very good season up until he left. But £35million is a hell of a lot of money and I think both clubs got a very good deal.”

Of course Carroll will be under the stewardship of Shearer’s old boss Kenny Dalglish and the former Blackburn man is not surprised his old Gaffer has had such an impact at Anfield: “I know how he operates and know what he is like, and he’s a great football guy. He gives players the feel good factor and that’s exactly what he has done at Liverpool. He’s taken over a struggling side and he has transformed them.”

The transfer however leaves many unanswered questions for Toon fans and when asked who would like to replace the Gateshead born striker, the answer was simple: “Rooney.”

Time to strengthen
Joking aside Shearer was confident that plans were in place to strengthen the side:

“I’m pretty positive the manager and his team have identified targets and they probably know in this moment in time who they want to go for. They are like everyone else they will look to strengthen: how much money the manager will have no one knows.”

This ambiguity under Ashley that has been the catalyst for so many of the unnecessary problems during his regime and the club’s former number 9 was unsure whether or not there would be further departures:  “We don’t want our best players to leave but you never know what is happening behind the scenes.”

It’s the last part of this answer that showed despite his love for his club, he’s still not convinced by what’s going on at board level. It’s evident that the way in which he left Newcastle as manager still hurts Shearer and he does still pine to manage his hometown club:

“I thought I was going to be (the manager) but for whatever reason it did not materialise. I loved my time there, I really enjoyed the challenges it brought every day- despite what happened at the end."
Open to offers
He had recently been linked with the Blackburn job before Steve Kean took over on a full time basis, and admits that no matter what the division if the right club came along he would be interested: “I think you have to open your eyes up to anything and everything; not dismiss anything, because there’s some big clubs out there not in the Premier League. I think that’s where everybody wants to be but I’m not naive and stupid enough to believe I can walk straight into a Premier League club.”

He also dismissed the notion that great players cannot become great managers: 

“There have also been great players who have been great successes and there have also been great managers who have never played the game- so there’s no guarantee either way.”

Just for the record it was this fascinated fan interviewing him who referred to him as great, not a self imposed title by Mr Shearer himself.

Peter Taylor said this week that he fancied Shearer as a future England manager and while looking slightly bemused by the comment-he replied: “I’m not naive enough to shout from the rooftops and say I want to do that as there are many outstanding candidates out there. I played and captained my country and so it would be something I’d be honoured to do.”

Reflecting on England’s performances at last year’s World Cup, which he watched from the BBC studio stationed in South Africa, he noted: “Things went against us at the World Cup and we were pretty poor. I’m sure mistakes have been made and no doubt learned from and we have had a decent start to the (Euro 2012 qualifying) campaign.”

And on the competition in Poland and Ukraine: “I think it will be exactly the same, no doubt we will be there and qualify and it’s how we perform on that major tournament. We don’t know until we go out there.”

No regrets
With 30 international goals to his name, many feel he hung up his Three Lions’ boots too early after his retirement in 2000. However, Shearer explained the decision: “It was because of the injuries that I had- which meant I had to adapt my game. I was confident that I could of played for England but to maintain the standard that I always wanted to keep I had to sacrifice one of them. Obviously it couldn’t have been my club career and after that I went onto play for another six years, so I think the decision was the correct one.”

Given England’s underperformance in recent years, I was interested to know if he thought any other players had stuck around too long: “Not really; I think there’s a perception that when you get to 30 you’re not allowed a bad game because of your age. But there’s some greatly experienced guys out there and still with a lot to offer England.” 

Adding: “That was my personal decision to do that, so you go along with what the guys want but if they are performing at the highest level it doesn’t matter how old or young they are.”

I’d managed to hold out sounding like an excited ball boy until the end but was desperate to know which goal gave him the most satisfaction. Despite my suggestion of a strike against Charlton at St James’ where he reached 200 Premier League goals and both fans continually chanted his name- it was breaking Milburn’s record that he holds dear: “When I broke the record for Newcastle against Portsmouth, the reaction of the crowd that day will stay with me forever. I mean it went on for another 15-20 minutes. It was just incredible- that goal was very special.”

What might have been?
As the interview drew to a close, I knew there was only time for one more question and I’d always been desperate to know if it was true; had he had a trial for Newcastle as a goalkeeper? 

“There was 22 guys there [at the trial] and there was only one goalkeeper; we all had to take a turn in goal just for five or ten minutes- but no they didn’t just stick me straight in goal.”

It does make you wonder about the man who watched Shearer as an outfield player but let him slip through the net. After all, having made a name for himself at Southampton and winning the title with Blackburn that mistake cost Newcastle owner Sir John Hall a full £15 million to rectify.  
Interview over, I felt much like Shearer did the day before: honoured and privileged to be alongside the world’s best. It was also encouraging hearing a former player so passionate about not just club and country, but the game in general. His manner of talking about all subjects openly and honestly makes a refreshing change from the banal responses we have become accustomed to from modern players. 

So as I left and shook the hand of a player I had idolised for years, I realised that sometimes meeting your heroes is all it’s cracked up to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment